Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 July 2011

Marrow, Ginger & Lemon Jam

Mmmmmm I am always up for making different flavour jams. As I am growing Marrows this year & use them in chutneys I was wondering what else I could try out. Here is my first experiment. I looked up differing recipes & adjusted them slightly but its a very simple recipe & makes a very moorish jam, lovely on some fresh baked bread!
3 lb Marrow peeled de seeded & chopped small
3 lb Sugar
1 Lemon, juice & peel
2" piece of fresh root Ginger peeled & grated

Put the peeled & chopped marrow in a large pan with 1 lb of sugar. Cover & leave overnight.
Stir the now watery mixture & add rest of sugar. Bring to the boil then simmer on a slow roll for 1 hour. Don't forget to stir frequently!
Add the ginger, lemon juice & peeled & finely cut rind to the pan, stir & continue to boil till jam reaches setting point, test using the frozen dish method. Pour into 2 x 1lb sterilised jars & seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment